Frequently Asked Questions
|How long is the processing time for the COG?|
What is the College Opportunity Grant (COG)?
It is a state grant program that determines eligibility based on need and the following criteria.
Students must meet the following eligibility requirements to be considered for this grant:
- Be a Georgia Resident for 12 months prior to the term for which the grant is sought
- Be a citizen or eligible non-citizen
- A FAFSA must be completed and if the student is selected for verification, this process must be completed also
- Be a recipient of Pell Grant for the term for which the COG is sought
- For the 2010-2011 academic year, must have a $0 EFC as calculated by the FAFSA
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Be enrolled in a degree-seeking program at a unit of the University System of Georgia or the Technical College System of Georgia
- Complete Community Service requirements at a non-profit organization (For the 2010-2011 academic year students must complete 20 hours of community service for each semester of payment. Community service requirements must be met before the student is awarded the COG (GPC%u2019s State Programs Division will verify that all Community Service Organizations meet the Federal requirements under the Internal Revenue Service regulation and code.)
- Be enrolled as a full-time student
- Not be in default or owe a refund on the student financial aid program
- Be in compliance with the Selective Service registration requirements
What is the application procedure?
- Complete a current year FAFSA
- Submit a completed and signed Certification Form of Community Service to the Financial Aid Office in person or via fax at 678-891-3427. The form can be located at (http://www.gsfc.org/main/publishing/pdf/common/cog_form.pdf)
How much will I receive if I am eligible for the COG?
Eligible recipients will receive an award of $500 per semester beginning spring 2011 semester.
How would I know if I have a $0 EFC?
Your EFC (estimated family contribution) can be found on their more recent student aid report. Also when you complete your FAFSA, you will be notified of your EFC. Please note this number could change if the financial aid office has to make corrections to your FAFSA for any reason.
If my tuition is already paid and I am eligible for COG what happens now?
If you are an eligible student and do not have a balance, you will receive a refund once your COG application is processed and the funds are released.
How long will it take for the COG to be processed once all necessary steps in the application procedure have been completed?
The processing time is 2-4 weeks.